3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation from Nomadic Supply Company absorbs sounds to provide superior acoustic control in vehicles. 3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation has extremely efficient sound absorption properties. Nomadic Supply Company recommends using 3M 90 Adhesive Spray to apply the white fiber side to the camper van sheet metal.
Lightweight and easy to work with, our 3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation is the perfect choice for anyone looking to insulate and soundproof their van. For best results, we recommend using one layer of 3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation in combination with our Duck Liner Camper Van Insulation for optimal insulation and sound deadening.
3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation Features:
- Delivers more acoustic absorption per unit weight vs. competitive products
- Helps customers meet mass reduction goals
- Non-woven sound-absorbing fibers create a quieter vehicle environment
- Hydrophobic fibers resist moisture, mold, and mildew
- Price is per linear foot – Thinsulate is 5 feet wide so 10 linear feet will cover 50 square feet
- Ships compressed but expands to 1.65″ thick once the product is installed
3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise So That Passengers Ride in Comfort
To make the ride in vehicles more comfortable for passengers 3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation absorbs noise so that it is quieter in the interior of vehicles. Our automotive acoustic insulation is made from a unique combination of fine microfibers that absorb high-frequency noise and thicker fibers that provide recovery and loft. It is compressible, lightweight, conformable, and can be easily die-cut, heat-sealed and thermally or sonically bonded to many substrates.
How 3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation Works
Our insulation is a unique non-woven acoustic absorber composed of polyester and polypropylene fibers. The polypropylene fibers are extremely fine, producing a high-energy absorption characteristic with low weight. The polyester fibers are added to strengthen the web, while the scrim protects and contains the fibers.
3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation Application Recommendations
Our SM series of automotive sound insulation is recommended for instrument panels, parcel trays, pillars, trunk liners, and wheel wells. Depending on application requirements, 3M Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation SM600L may be evaluated for use in the carpet/dash mat, door panels, headliners, and other variable cavity applications. To determine suitability, consult your 3M Acoustic Solutions Technical Service Engineer.
Reasons Why Automotive Manufacturers Choose 3M Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation:
- Quieter Vehicles. Provides highly efficient acoustic absorption, particularly in middle- to high-frequency ranges.
- Lighter Vehicles. Thinsulate acoustic insulation products are made from lightweight polyester and polypropylene non-woven fibers.
- Easy to Install. Lightweight and easy to handle compared fiberglass, shoddy, felt and PET.
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistant. Install just the insulation — there’s no need for an additional waterproof layer during application. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is also resistant to mildew growth, reducing the risk of offensive odors.
- Efficient Assembly. Attach our acoustic insulation using a variety of methods including ultrasonic welding, double-sided tape or mechanical clips.
- Manufacturing Support. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is supported by a global network of 3M experts. Custom die cutting services are available.
3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation Properties
This acoustic insulation material has a caliper of 42 mm and a basis weight of 642 gm/m2. Fibers are contained in a single black scrim.
What is Automotive NVH?
In the professional world of sound management for vehicles, the study of Noise, Vibration and Harshness (often referred to as NVH) focuses on the effects and mitigation of noise as it relates to car cabin noise levels. Noise and vibration are easily measured, while harshness is a more qualitative feature determined by human impressions.
Sources of Noise Needing Acoustic Absorption
Noises can be transmitted by either air or structure. Airborne noises are commonly produced by tire contact on the road, and wind and mechanical operations. Structure borne sound occurs when automotive components vibrate while the vehicle is in operation. Our insulation absorbs those sounds so they are less likely to travel to the interior cabin of the vehicle, making the ride for passengers much more pleasant. A quiet riding experience can enhance the perceived quality of a vehicle.
The Science Behind How 3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise
All sound is transmitted through the air as waves. These acoustic waves oscillate at differing frequencies. When oscillating waves contact the fine fibers of our Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation, the resulting friction turns their acoustic energy into heat. The heat irreversibly dissipates and reduces sound. As a result, Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation applied to automotive interiors reduces interior noise for a quieter, more comfortable ride.
3M SM600L sound thermal insulation engineered for vehicles. 60″ wide, scrim on one side. 1 linear foot is 5 square feet. Material comes compressed from 3M. The material will expand to 1 3/4 or 44mm. Thinsulate is FMVSS 302 certified (federal motor vehicle safety standard).
3M Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation SM600L Camper Van Insulation Quantity Recommendations:
Approximate amounts needed to insulate the walls, ceiling, doors and cab area:
- 144” = 50 linear feet
- 170” = 60 linear feet
- 170” Extended = 70 linear feet
- 130” = 40 linear feet
- 148” = 50 linear feet
- 148” Extended = 60 linear feet
- 136” = 40 linear feet
- 159” = 50 linear feet
- 150” Extended = 60 linear feet
*All size estimates assume that you have sliding door and rear door windows. If you don’t have windows, add 10 more linear feet to your order.
Nomadic Supply Company Camper Van Insulation Method:
Nomadic Supply Company builds luxury Mercedes Sprinter camper vans and has perfected our sound and thermal insulation method through years of research and exerience. The first layer that we apply to the interior sheet metal of every Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van is a butyl sound-deadening mat. We then apply a layer of Duck Liner Closed-Cell Foam Camper Van Sound & Thermal Insulation. On top of that layer we apply our 3M Thinsulate SM600L Camper Van Acoustic Insulation.